Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Strange Habits of Word Order

- It has always bothered me that certain words in the English language go together. I find it especially odd that these words have, over time, come to require speaking in a particular order. I'm sure your all wondering what exactly I mean, so I'll give you an example: bread and butter. There you have it, not butter and bread: bread and butter. Two words that are inexorably linked by the strange twist of fate that the second happens to taste delicous when spread liberally on the first.

There are some words that have an even stronger bond. Peanut butter and jelly comes to mind. Can you imagine the chaos of a jelly and peanut butter sandwhich? What about, "Can you pass the pepper and salt, dear?"

It occurs to me now that words like these should have a name. What moniker is fitting for these enigmas of the common tongue? Answer: I have no idea.
Put your choice for the new name in the comments (or, alternately, put the actual name if your able to find one that's already in use.)

- End post

No comments:

Post a Comment